Few ideas

Discussion in 'Continual Improvement' started by Time, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Time

Time New Member

Hey, had a few ideas that popped up.

1. Making a section dedicated to minecraft alpha clans.

2. Get a SMP server for the minecraftnews community. The clans on the forums would probably revolve around this server.

3. Get a chatbox embedded into the site or an IRC channel.

#1 Time, Oct 29, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  2. Robin

Robin Member

I love when people have ideas, it is easy to get blind when you create the forum.

1. Like a part in the forum: Minecraft Clan area ?

2. Ye I would love to have some SMP servers! and some crative mode servers, but if I shall create them myself I need a better cable connection and an actual server, because my home computer is already overheated with all my multitasking.

But if we could get some spin on this forum I would totally invest much more in it and I would make sure to get both those things! :) But if anyone have a minecraft server of any sort, or know a really good one, make a post in the servers section.

3. Time

Time New Member

1. Yeah, a separate board for clans to post topics for their clan.

2. Server wise. Right now I manage a clan in a different game, which i am branching into minecraft soon, and I am paying for a server on that game, and will have to be buying us either a URL or actual server so we can move out of our temporary forums. However, if I can find the money, I could look into buying a high quality server for the site (if there are people who sell servers?). Another option is I do know someone who hosts a pretty good server, but I'm not sure how many people could be on it at once, and if he would want to make it public at all. I can look into it though!

4. Robin

Robin Member

I have added the forum section under Minecraft discussions. so you have a hole forum part just for clans :)

And about servers, it would be lovely if you could find someone that could host a server or such. And if you find somewhere to rent or buy a minecraft SMP server online I would be interested to buy at least one for now!

5. Time

Time New Member

Okay awesome! Today has been very laid back for me, so i've been on these forums along with others all day, I have time to look into this right now! :)

6. Robin

Robin Member

I know the feeling ;) I have been working in front of the computer 10 - 12 hours every day the past week to get this forum up and running in time for this Halloween update! So I haven't had the time to research server possibility just yet.

7. Time

Time New Member

Ouch, that is lot's of time, but it sure does show! These forums are very nice!
    Btw - My clan is now posted on the clan board. We finally branched into Minecraft! Woohoo! haha.

8. Robin

Robin Member

ye a lot of time, but I am starting to get pleased, but ofc everything is not done yet! There will always be things to improve, but if you like you can check out my other forum www.gameplayforum.se but this is all Swedish, so maby not to fun for you ;) I saw your post :) and looked at the forum, looks nice :)

9. Time

Time New Member

Uh oh, swedish. Don't know that! Haha, and thanks, the forums are okay... they are as good as free forum hosters can go. Once we get our good forums up they should look much better.

Had another idea, i'll edit it into my main post as well, but is it possible to get a shoutbox/chatbox embedded into the forums? If you can't, and if the member count grows a lot, you should consider getting an IRC channel. These two things are good ways to increase the good community feeling, ya know?

10. Robin

Robin Member

ye I have thought about IRC, it is on my list of to do things :) I think I might put up a Mumble server so we can chatt live of we like, but that is also on my to do list :) And I will look into the chatt!

11. Time

Time New Member

Okay cool. Yeah I have mumble too, but I don't really use it anymore. I usually use Ventrilo or Teamspeak... but they are all the same to me, to be honest haha.

12. chrippee

chrippee New Member

ill agree with everything :))

13. Apv301

Apv301 Active Member

I have a few ideas

1: Can you change the notification color so it's easier to read?

2: Can you create some sort of playerskin database? Like under each players profile where they can upload they're skins? Maybe have an embeded client that can preview what the skins look like on a model of a player? Is this even possible?

Thanks for the great site!

14. Time

Time New Member

Is there a way to get rid of the Sponsorship stuff?

15. Robin

Robin Member

@Apv301 , I will check it out and see what I can do, it is a good idea, but it can be complicated to have an embedded playerskin database, except a forum post of some kind, but I will check it out because it is a good idea!

@Time , The ads in the forum you can click away with the arrows to the right of it, but the ads is actually mine and the point is to pay for some of all the expenses but I can't say that they generate any money , but maby in time it will generate something!

16. Time

Time New Member

Ah okay. Perhaps you should get a donation link set up ;)

17. Apv301

Apv301 Active Member

If you can set it up so that donators get a silver star under their post count, and multiple donators get a gold star. It would attract more people to donate. Look at wom, cheesy asterix in game beside your name is considered reason enough for many to donate lol.

18. Time

Time New Member

Hell yeah! 20 Euro's for a gold star? Woot!

19. Robin

Robin Member

Ye I have thought about a donate system :) But I don't want people to need to waste their own money until I feel the forum is good enough! I am working all day long everyday to improve the forum, commercials and server but soon I guess we can have some kind of donation system :)

20. Apv301

Apv301 Active Member

I frequent these forums a ton, they're vbulletin. Maybe you can pick up some ideas for the site by looking around there abit?

I'm a fan of their ranking system (cause it has little pictures =D) and "respect" system myself.
    http://www.jplegacy.org/board/