[Solved] why does it say this?

Discussion in 'Minecraft Support' started by jojonat824, May 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jojonat824

jojonat824 New Member

Whenever i try to login it says cant connect to minecraft.net does anyne know why it would do that i was using it just a day or two before this happened and now this plsease respond:)

#1 jojonat824, May 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2012
  2. Apv301

Apv301 Active Member

Well first off, Minecraft.net is prone to random outages. The reasons are varied. I seem to recall seeing a tweet by Notch stating it was going undergoing maintenance later today (likely when you were connecting).

However there are some other issues which can happen. So lets try and cover them.

Im assuming you have a premium account, however have you recently purchased Cobalt? Or have you upgraded your account to a mojang acc?
    If yes to either of these, you will need to login with your email address instead of your user.

Example:
    Before
    User: Apv301
    Pass: loldnotsaying

After
    User: Apv301@minecraftnews.net
    Pass: loldnotsaying.

Now if this is not the issue, lets test this further.

Can you log in here? www.minecraft.net ?

If you can login, but can't with the client. I recommend deleting the minecraft.exe and the "lastlogin" file in your .minecraft folder. Once you have done this, download a new EXE and attempt logging in.

If you cant login after doing either of the above, open your minecraft.exe. Let the news load, is there mention of any downtime on the server? If not continue below.

Recovery

If you cannot login after the above, attempt to recover your account (lost password). Create a new password with the email link they should send. Attempt logging in. I highly recommend running a virus scan/ malware scan/ and trojan scan all that fun

Malwarebytes
    SuperAntiSpyware
    Spybot Search and Destroy

Running the three of these is over kill, but it should get the job done (make sure you update them after installation)

Please note: I do not list an antivirus here, because I presume you have one. If not, drop everything and get one asap. Not having an antivirus, is like having a car without car insurance.

ESET Smart Security 5
    Apv's antivirus of choice. I do not recommend or encourage you get it. Minecraftnews.net does not endorse, nor support this product. Choosing this product is solely your decision. However, I personally have not had any trouble with it, and find it extremely efficient.This statement is the person opinion of myself.

Remember to run ALL of these in safemode. If you play the game in the browser, I HIGHLY recommend you also run ATF-Cleaner or PC Doctor

If your new password still doesnt let you login, but you received the email from jagex, you should attempt getting in touch with Mojangs support team.

#2 Apv301, May 21, 2012
    Last edited: May 21, 2012
  3. jojonat824

jojonat824 New Member

didnt work

Ok i tried all of that and it still says the same thing how do i contact mojang is there a number or do i have to use a post like im doing now??and the news doesnt load either. thank you

#3 jojonat824, May 21, 2012
    Last edited: May 21, 2012
  4. CB

CB Mature Filter for Forums

Jojona824,

Lets keep it simple. It says that because one of two things is happening. 1. Either your username and password combination isnt correct, or 2. the site server is down.

So...Two things.

First, Ensure your account name, and password are correct. If you are uncertain, use the "lost my password" option from the minecraft.net website.

And Lastly, Minecraft.net was indeed down for quite some time on and off this weekend. Perhaps give it a few hours and try again, if your Username and Password are indeed correct.

5. jojonat824

jojonat824 New Member

the problem is that its just my computer that says it my wife can get on the other computer so i dont think that it is the website being down that is killing me here and my user name and password are correct so im not sure

6. CB

That is odd.

K so you can use your account login info, on her computer, and it works correct?
    But doing so from your computer... it doesnt work? Correct?

7. jojonat824

jojonat824 New Member

that is correct

8. CB

Awesome. Have you forwarded your firewall ports for both your computer and your wifes?

9. jojonat824

jojonat824 New Member

how do you do that please explain i have windows 7

10. CB

Start here.

[video=youtube;KFaROfu4LUQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFaROfu4LUQ[/video]

Please note, that all routers, while essentially the same, have very different control panels. Depending on the brand of your router, you may need to consult your manufacturers handbook or read the help section once you get logged in.

Basically heres what I think is going on.

Minecraft.net requires a specific port to allow access to your pc and check verification. Its port :25565. The first time you set up Minecraft, windows 7 popped up a splash window requesting access through your firewall to "Allow" or "Block". If, for whatever reason, you clicked "Block" or have since then altered your firewall in any way, your computer will not be able to talk to the minecraft.net server. You're wifes laptop, obviously, did "Allow" the firewall port forward, and her laptop can connect to the minecraft.net server... regardless of who is logging in.

Now that I think about it, I suggest you check your own Win 7 Firewall access first, before you go poking around your routers admin settings.

To do this, click on the start symbol, and in the command line type "windows firewall". choose "Windows Firewall and Advanced Security"
    On the right, click "New Rule"
    Choose "Port", then "Next"
    Type in the number "25565" in the port field, and click "Next"
    Click "Next" two more times without changing the screens, and then label the Rule something that you'll remember like TCP-Minecraft.
    Click "Finish"

Repeat the above process, and when you get to the screen where you enter the port number, choose the "UDP" at the top of the screen, and continue as instructed above.

When youre finished.
    Go back through your list of ports and ensure there isnt one already in there and showing "Block" for Minecraft... if you find one, just delete it. You may be prompted again by Win 7, just be aware of choosing "Allow"

Also, while Im on the subject, double check the firewall port blockages for "Java". Set them all to allow.

You should be good to go afterwards. If you want to verify that you did it right, you can simply turn off your firewall, and open minecraft. If it still doesnt work, then its definitely the routers port forwarding.

11. jojonat824

jojonat824 New Member

sweet that did it thnx for all the help.

12. CB

Not a problem. Happy to help.

Thread Closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.